Thursday, May 24, 2012

My Thoughts on Flats & Handwashing
#flatschallenge Day - 4



I am taking part in the Second Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry.  For 7 days I will be using only flat cloth diapers and handwashing them in an effort to prove that cloth diapering can be affordable and accessible to all.  You can learn more about the rules and why this challenge was started by visiting the announcement post.  This year there are over 450 participants from all over the world!  

Wow, what a day!!!

Poopy diapers, arms aching, crampy stomach, doesn't get any better then that right??
Yesterday was a challenging day for all those reasons.
Remember I said " I had to brace myself for poopy diapers" well I did. Ashton made up for the day he didn't poop. I can honestly say that washing diapers is not hard its quite simple, its just not convenient. Those of us that are blessed to have washers throw our diapers in the wash and go on about our day.
Not having a washer or not being able to use it, I find myself wondering when should I wash before or after a poopy diaper, if I wait then ill just have more diapers to wash. Do I really want that??
If I wait to long then they won't dry in time. Diapers are always on my mind while hand washing making sure I have enough and if they are clean. I didn't really worry this much while using a washer just throw in the wash and make sure to add detergent. Its amazing to know that technology has and is always improving to make our lives easier.

Bucket full of flats.... 

Yesterday while washing on my washing board I had a vivid memory come back to me. Years ago when I was a young my parents let me go on a  long vacation to Mexico with my grandparents. Once there I had accumulated some dirty clothes I had to wash, I asked my grandma if I could wash. She then handed me a bar soap and said that the washing board was in the back room. I looked at her kinda puzzled wasn't sure what she was saying, I  mean my mom always washed my clothes what was I supposed to do now??

So I go to the back room and I see a concrete washing board and clothes that are sitting there to get washed. Hmm now what?? "Grandma how do I do this I've never done this we have a washer and dryer"? my grandma responds " Mija, we don't have a washer, but ill show you how to wash on the wash board I do it everyday" my mind was blown away.

I thought "Are you kidding me"? I could not do this everyday.

Well let me tell you I did it every other day  until the day I was getting ready to go back home. To this day I appreciate my grandma showing me  how to wash on a wash board. When I got home I told my parents about my experience. They were proud of me and I learned to appreciate my mom washing and drying and hanging my clothes.

For those of us that think " No way I could not do that "!! Yes you can and you would adjust to your situation, I washed every single clothes item I had while at my grandparents house. My grandma did not wash it for me I had to, so I did. So I know if I had to hand wash every single cloth diaper Ashton pees and poops in I would no questions asked. I'm very blessed to say I  have a washer and Im forever grateful for it, but I also know that if I didn't have it I would adjust to my situation and do without and hand wash.

Again its not hard its simple and more effective just not convenient in our modern day society that we live in today. Im enjoying this experience, and Im looking forward to the next couple days.


How are you adjusting?? 
Have you learned any tricks??

Check out the other bloggers to see how they are adapting to hand washing

2 comments:

  1. I loved reading about your experience! It's wonderful that you have that in your past and it taught you a valuable lesson. You're so right-we can hand wash, if we need to. We would adapt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you amanda!!! def us humans adapt to what we have in front of us.. totally agree I'm glad you got to read it. Appreciate the comment.

    ReplyDelete